The most Bavarian of towns (maybe besides Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber) in my mind is Garmisch-Parkenkirchen. When B told me he had another hockey tournament but this time in Garmisch, I was excited to accompany him. I mean, this is a huge destination for skiers and there is so much to do in the area, like visit the famous Neschwanstein Castle (or maybe you prefer an aerial view). It's pretty much a winter wonderland. This time, between giving support to B, I had some more destinations that I wanted to visit while in town.
Our hotel was right downtown. There are several areas to visit but the neighborhood pictured, really encompassed the town for me. Imagine high alps all around you with beautiful chuches, elaborately painted homes and businesses (some even jutting out of cliffs), and many opporutinties for outdoor activities. It's like a fairytale town. Each building is a work of art. If you are in the area, here are some things that you can do besides marvel at the beauty:
10 Things to do in Garmisch and the Surrounding Area:
1) Go skiiing or snowboarding on the Zugspitz.
2) Go paragliding off of the Zugspitz. (This looks terrifying but I am considering it).
3) Have a spa day at one of the many hotels (If you are affiliated with the military there is a huge resort there).
4) Take a short trip to see the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles.
5) Visit the Monastary Ettal and see the brewery run by monks.
6) Photograph the entire area, it's beautiful!
7) In the summer go white water rafting.
8) Walk the Partnach Gorge (make sure you hike to the top of the mountain, it's worth it!)
9) Visit the Linderhof Palace in Obberamergau (next best thing to Versailles).
10) Make a day trip to nearby Munich or Dachau Concentration Camp.
This was my second time visiting Garmisch and I already have more things on that list to see. Stay tuned for my visit to the Partnach Gorge and I scored a really sweet vintage buy that I'm excited to share.
If you came to Garmisch, what would you want to do?
Linking up at:
Budget Traveler's Sandbox
The Brambleberry Cottage
Rooted in Thyme
Sunday Best Showcase
Travel Photo Discovery
Mel's Daisy Patch
From Castles to Castles
The Dedicated House (Make it Pretty Monday)
A Stroll Thru Life
Turn it up Tuesday
Kathe With An E
Do Tell Tuesday
We Call it Junkin'
Tuesdays with a Twist
Ivy and Elephants
The Tablescaper (Oh the Places I've Been)